If you’re not sure what size Starbucks drink to order, this guide is for you.
Here you will see every size Starbucks has for hot and cold drinks, and the number of espresso shots and pumps of syrup per cup size.
You’ll also learn some interesting facts. For instance, did you know a grande Starbucks latte has the exact same amount of caffeine as a venti latte?
Starbucks Cup Sizes, Smallest to Largest
Starbucks has four sizes of cups for hot drinks ranging in size from 8 to 20 ounces. The size names for Starbucks paper cups are short, tall, grande and venti. Starbucks also has four sizes of cups for cold drinks going from 12 to 30 ounces. The size names for Starbucks plastic cold cups are tall, grande, venti and trenta.
A 16 ounce grande drink is considered the standard size at Starbucks. Think of it as a medium. There’s also a small sample cup, but it’s not for customer orders.
Here’s every Starbucks cup size ranked in order from smallest to largest:
1. Sample Size Cup (3 ounces)
- This small cup is for samples and coffee-tastings only.
- Starbucks does not have lids for sample cups and they’re not meant for customer drinks.
2. Short, Hot (8 ounces)
- This is the smallest size drink you can order at Starbucks and it’s for hot drinks only.
- Short Starbucks espresso drinks get one shot of espresso (except for flat whites). Hot teas get one tea bag.
3. Tall, Hot (12 ounces)
- Tall hot espresso drinks get one shot of espresso (except flat whites and Americanos). Hot teas get one tea bag.
- Short and tall hot espresso drinks get the same number of espresso shots as each other, and short and tall hot teas have the same number of tea bags.
4. Tall, Cold (12 ounces)
- Tall is the smallest size cold drink you can get at Starbucks.
- Tall iced espresso drinks get one shot of espresso (except flat whites, Americanos and shaken espressos).
- Iced espresso drinks in tall cold cups are made with the same amount of espresso shots as a tall hot drink.
5. Grande, Hot (16 ounces)
- Grande is Starbucks “standard” drink size (not too small, not too big).
- Grande hot espresso-based drinks get two shots of espresso (except flat whites and Americanos). Hot teas get two tea bags.
6. Grande, Cold (16 ounces)
- Grande iced espresso drinks get two shots of espresso (except flat whites, Americanos and shaken espressos).
- Iced espresso drinks in grande cold cups are made with the same amount of espresso shots as a grande hot drink.
7. Venti, Hot (20 ounces)
- Venti means 20 in Italian and this is the largest size hot drink you can order at Starbucks.
- Venti hot espresso-based drinks get two shots of espresso (except flat whites and Americanos). Hot teas get two tea bags.
- Grande and venti hot espresso drinks get the same number of espresso shots as each other, and grande and venti hot teas have the same number of tea bags.
8. Venti, Cold (24 ounces)
- The Starbucks venti cold cup is four ounces larger than the venti hot cup.
- Venti iced espresso beverages get three espresso shots (except for flat whites, Americanos and shaken espressos).
- Venti cold espresso drinks have more espresso and more caffeine than venti hot drinks.
9. Trenta, Cold (30 ounces)
- Trenta means 30 in Italian.
- Trenta is the biggest Starbucks size and it’s only for cold drinks.
- Not every type of cold drink is available in trenta size.
What Drinks Come in Trenta Size
Only certain drinks come in a Starbucks trenta size cup and here’s the list.
Drinks with more complicated recipes including all espresso drinks, frappuccinos, iced tea lattes, iced matcha drinks, blended drinks, and nitro cold brew are not available in trenta size. Nitro cold brew isn’t available in a venti cup either.
How Much Espresso in Starbucks Drink Sizes
|Starbucks Drink Sizes||Shots of Espresso*|
|Venti – hot||2|
|Venti – cold||3|
*There are exceptions to the number of shots of espresso for flat whites, Americanos and iced shaken espressos.
Drinks with Different Amounts of Espresso
- Flat Whites: Flat whites have one more shot of espresso per size and it’s a ristretto shot. (Short & Tall = 2, Grande & Venti Hot = 3, Venti Cold=4)
- Americanos: Tall, grande and venti Americanos have one more shot than other espresso drinks. But short Americanos remain the same with one shot. (Short=1, Tall=2, Grande=3, Venti Hot=4, Venti Cold=5)
- Iced Shaken Espressos: The more coffee-forward, less-sweet Iced Shaken Espresso drinks, have one more shot of espresso for each size. (Tall=2, Grande=3, Venti Cold=4)
How Much Syrup in Starbucks Drink Sizes
|Starbucks Drink Sizes||Pumps of Syrup|
|Venti – hot||5|
|Venti – cold||6|
*There are exceptions to the number of pumps of syrup for some drinks.
Drinks with Different Amounts of Syrup
Iced Shaken Espressos: On the surface it appears that Iced Shaken Espresso drinks get the same number of pumps of syrup as other similarly-sized espresso drinks. However, Starbucks brown sugar syrup bottles are equipped with half-dose pumps. This means, an Iced Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso actually has half the amount of sweetener as most other espresso-based drinks.
Caramel Macchiatos: Both the hot and Iced Caramel Macchiato receive one less pump of syrup compared to other similarly sized espresso-based drinks. Both of these Starbucks caramel drinks, are drizzled with a rich caramel sauce on top. Think of the sauce as the “missing” pump of syrup.
Starbucks Sizes: Ordering Tips & Interesting Facts
A larger size espresso drink doesn’t necessarily have more caffeine.
Need more caffeine? A larger size espresso-style drink at Starbucks doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get more.
The fact is, short (8 oz) and tall (12 oz) espresso drinks contain the same amount of espresso and therefore the same amount of caffeine. The same is true between a grande (16 oz) and venti (20 oz).
If you want more caffeine in your Starbucks drink, jump up to a grande from a short or tall or add-in an extra shot.
Another option is to get a brewed coffee. The larger the brewed coffee, the more caffeine. Unless, you get decaf coffee.
Related: 10 Starbucks Caffeine Boosting Tips
Starbucks venti cold drinks have more syrup and espresso shots than venti hot drinks.
Since venti cold cups contain four more fluid ounces than venti hot cups, the amount of espresso and syrup that goes into the drinks is different, as well. As a matter of fact, venti cold drinks receive one more shot of espresso and one more pump of syrup compared to venti hot drinks.
You can order a smaller size drink in a larger cup.
If you need more room in your cup for whatever reason, you can order a smaller drink in a bigger cup. For instance, you can get a grande in a venti cup. Don’t worry, you’ll be charged for the smaller size. This leaves more room for a splash of cream or another add-in.
Is your drink too hot to hold? Ask for a sleeve or double cup.
If your drink is just too hot to hold, which is often the case with Starbucks hot tea drinks or hot brewed coffee, be sure and ask for either a double cup or coffee sleeve. While the sleeve is the more environmentally-friendly option, you can save the clean outer cup to use at home or work.
Starbucks 3 oz cup size is for samples only.
While you might think the tiny 3 ounce cup at Starbucks is perfect for espresso shots, the truth is these cups aren’t meant for serving customer orders. They’re designed for coffee-tastings or customer samples. On top of that (no pun intended), lids are not available.
Strawless cup lids are better for sipping cold foam drinks and the environment.
With an annual goal of reducing straw usage by one billion globally, Starbucks recently introduced strawless lids for its cold cups. The new lids contain 9% less plastic than the former flat lid and straw combination.
Not only is this swap good for the environment, but the new cup lids are ideal for sipping foam-topped drinks like a Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew or Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew. This way a straw doesn’t skip right by the delicious vanilla sweet cream.
Questions You May Have
Got your pup in tow through the drive-through? Order a puppaccino (Starbucks whipped cream in a cup) and it will be served to your best friend in a short cup. If you prefer a smaller cup just ask for a sample or espresso cup. Incidentally, this is a freebie.
Starbucks kids size drinks are served in the smallest cups. Kid-size cold drinks come in the tall size cup and hot drinks come in the short size. You can also ask for kids temperature (130 °F) for hot drinks.
Starbucks nitro cold brew beverages only come in two sizes, tall and grande. Regular cold brew is available in tall, grande, venti and trenta.
More Starbucks Guides
- Starbucks Espresso Shots: Sizes, Caffeine & Options
- Starbucks Lingo Guide: Every Term Explained
- 10 Ways to Get Free Starbucks Drinks & Earn Rewards Faster
- 10 Tips for Ordering TikTok Starbucks Drinks
- 8 Ways to Cut Calories at Starbucks
- 10 Starbucks Caffeine Boosting Tips
- 19 Most Caffeinated Starbucks Drinks