Strongest Coffee at Starbucks
Have you ever wondered which Starbucks drinks have the most caffeine? We all know needing a boost of energy and coffee go hand-in-hand.
But there are some Starbucks coffee drinks that have quite a bit more caffeine and are stronger than others.
So if you’re waiting in line at Starbucks needing more of a pick-me-up than normal, or if you’re actually trying to avoid being wired from too much caffeine, you’ll definitely want to keep reading.
And just so you know, this list of the most caffeinated drinks at Starbucks is based on grande size, menu drinks. It does not include customizations or so-called hacks.
Let’s get started.
19 Most Caffeinated Drinks at Starbucks, Ranked
Here’s a list of the 19 strongest drinks on the Starbucks menu, ranked in order from the coffees with the most caffeine to the least.
1. Clover Brewed Coffee
The strongest coffee you can order at Starbucks is Clover Brewed Coffee. Specifically, Clover-brewed Sumatra Roast, French Roast and Italian Roast are the most caffeinated coffees with 380 mg in a grande cup and a whopping 470 mg of caffeine in a venti.
The Clover Brewing System is an innovative vacuum-press technology that creates a cup of Starbucks coffee with more layers, dimension and caffeine than any other Starbuck drink. The barista brews a single cup at a time.
This means, customers can select from a large variety of coffee blends and caffeine levels.
The catch is, Clover machines are only in select Starbucks stores. If you’re lucky enough to be at one of these locations and in need of a caffeine fix, a Clover coffee will do the trick.
Incidentally, Clover is also a way to get a cup of decaf coffee at Starbucks.
Here’s the caffeine content in a grande cup for a few of the strongest Clover blends of Starbucks coffee.
- Espresso Roast Clover: 380 mg
- Italian Roast Clover: 380 mg
- Sumatra Clover: 380 mg
- Caffé Verona Clover: 375 mg
- Clover Brewed Breakfast Blend: 375 mg
2. Blonde Roast Brewed Coffee
The hot brewed drip coffee that has the most caffeine at all Starbucks locations is Blonde Roast. Starbucks describes this lightly roasted blend as “sweet, mellow and flavorful.”
Now, you might be thinking, “Doesn’t dark roast have more caffeine than blonde roast?” The answer is, “no.”
In fact, blonde roasted coffee has the highest caffeine content of all coffee beans since it is not roasted as long.
And like all brewed coffees, it’s a low calorie Starbucks drink, as well. Just doublecheck your go-to location. Not all stores have blonde roast on-hand.
Blonde Roast Brewed Coffee Caffeine Content: 360 mg
3. Pike Place Brewed Coffee
Pike Place Roast is a smooth, well-rounded blend of Latin American coffees that Starbucks serves at all its coffee locations. This medium roast has subtle rich chocolate and toasted nuts flavors and packs a pretty good caffeine punch.
Pike Place Brewed Coffee Caffeine Content: 310 mg
4. Nitro Cold Brew
Starbucks Nitro Cold Brew coffee is a simple mixture of small-batch cold brew coffee infused with nitrogen oxide bubbles.
Dispensed from a tap, nitro cold brew is smooth and sweet without adding a drop of sugar.
And it’s unique. First, the nitrogen creates a cascading effect and velvety layer of crema. But it also makes the coffee cold, so cold, in fact, that the drink is not served with ice.
And guess what no ice means? It means more coffee and more caffeine.
Nitro Cold Brew Caffeine Content:
- Nitro Cold Brew: 280 mg
- Starbucks Reserve Nitro Cold Brew: 280 mg
5. Nitro Cold Brew with Cold Foam
Even though Nitro Cold Brew is sweet and smooth all on its own, sometimes you just want a little extra creaminess. Enter cold foam.
A small layer of aerated, milky cold foam, made from your choice of milk, is the perfect way to add a touch of milk to each sip of your coffee.
And since the amount of milk is no where in the territory of a latte, you still get to enjoy all that coffee goodness.
Caffeine in Nitro Cold Brew Drinks Topped with Cold Foam:
- Honey Almondmilk Nitro Cold Brew: 275 mg
- Nitro Cold Brew with Cinnamon Almondmilk Foam: 275 mg
- Nitro Cold Brew with Cinnamon Oatmilk Foam: 275 mg
- Nitro Cold Brew with Cinnamon Oatmilk Foam: 275 mg
- Nitro Cold Brew with Dark Cocoa Almondmilk Foam: 280 mg
6. Nitro Cold Brew with Vanilla Sweet Cream
Vanilla sweet cream. What can I say? It’s rich, creamy, flavorful and the perfect topping for Starbucks velvety nitro cold brew coffee.
In a word, each sip of cold brew with vanilla sweet cream is scrumptious. You can even add a little flavored syrup to take it over the top. Starbucks suggest Irish Cream or Salted Caramel.
Caffeine in Nitro Cold Brew Drinks Topped with Sweet Cream:
- Nitro Cold Brew with Sweet Cream: 265 mg
- Irish Cream Nitro Cold Brew: 265 mg
- Salted Caramel Cream Nitro Cold Brew: 270 mg
7. Featured Starbucks Dark Roast Brewed Coffee
A traditional cup of drip-brewed, dark roast coffee packs a punch when it comes to caffeine.
While Starbucks “bold and robust” dark roast doesn’t have as much caffeine as Blonde Roast or Pike Place, it’s a tasty way to get a steaming hot cup of coffee with lots of caffeine.
Not to mention, if your a Starbucks member and want a second cup while you’re sitting in the cafe, it’s free. Free coffee, free caffeine.
Dark Roast Brewed Coffee Caffeine Content: 260 mg
8. Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
If you’re in the mood for a cold coffee drink that’s really caffeinated, one of Starbucks new Iced Shaken Espresso drinks may be the drink for you.
Since each shot of blonde roast has 85 mg of caffeine, this delicious iced espresso tips the caffeine scale at 255 mg.
Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso Caffeine Content: 255 mg
9. Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso
Like the Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso, the Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso recipe calls for three shots of blonde roast espresso.
The espresso is shaken with chocolate malt powder and ice to create a frothy drink that’s topped with almondmilk.
Starbucks Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso Caffeine Content: 255 mg
10. Honey Almondmilk Flat White
Starbucks flat white drinks are prepared with three ristretto shots of espresso for a grande. And if you’re following along, you know that’s one more than most other grande espresso beverages.
Additionally, the Honey Almondmilk Flat White pairs creamy almondmilk with Blonde Espresso Roast.
In other words, a grande Honey Almondmilk Flat White has 3 shots of blonde roast for a total of over 200 mg of caffeine.
Honey Almondmilk Flat White Caffeine Content: 225 mg
11. Caffè Americano (Hot or Iced)
An Americano is a Starbucks espresso drink that is a simple combination of espresso shots and water with a light layer of crema. And your barista can serve it up hot or iced.
Grande Americanos come with 3 shots of espresso and contain 225 mg of caffeine each. For an even bigger boost, Starbucks suggests asking your barista for an extra shot.
Caffè Americano Caffeine Content: 225 mg
12. Iced Shaken Espresso
Three shots of Starbucks Signature Espresso over ice, plus Classic syrup and a splash of milk make the Iced Shaken Espresso a summertime favorite.
Make note, this drink was formerly known as Starbucks Doubleshot on Ice.
Iced Shaken Espresso Caffeine Content: 225 mg
13. Starbucks Cold Brew Coffee
Starbucks Cold Brew beverages are all the rage. And it’s no wonder.
Handcrafted in small batches daily, Starbucks Cold Brew is slow-steeped in cool water for 20 hours. And since it never touches heat, this process produces coffee with a super-smooth flavor.
Unlike Nitro Cold Brew, regular cold brew is served over ice.
Caffeine in Cold Brew Coffee:
- Starbucks Cold Brew Coffee: 205 mg
- Starbucks Reserve Cold Brew: 200 mg
14. Cold Brew with Cold Foam
Want to enjoy the delicious flavor of cold brew with a touch of milk? Your barista can make a quick cold foam using any milk you select.
Plant-based milk like almondmilk and oatmilk are popular choices. Chocolate lovers may even want to try dark cocoa cold foam.
Caffeine in Cold Brew Drinks Topped with Cold Foam:
- Honey Almondmilk Cold Brew: 205 mg
- Cold Brew with Cinnamon Almondmilk Foam: 205 mg
- Cold Brew with Cinnamon Oatmilk Foam: 205 mg
- Cold Brew with Dark Cocoa Almondmilk Foam: 210 mg
15. Flat White
Flat whites are a simple mixture of smooth ristretto shots of espresso and steamed whole milk. Starbucks describes this drink marked with a signature dot of foam as, “not-too-strong, not-too-creamy, [but] just-right.”
While a grande flat white has nearly 200 mg of caffeine, coffee aficionados may prefer the tall size with a more acceptable proportion of espresso to milk.
Flat White Caffeine Content: 195 mg
16. Cold Brew with Vanilla Sweet Cream
One of Starbucks most popular summertime iced coffee drinks, Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew, has everything you want.
Each sip is a delicious taste of Starbucks hand-crafted cold brew served over ice, topped with vanilla sweet cream or vanilla sweet cream cold foam.
And I’ve got to say, all that rich cream swirling through coffee and ice is quite Instagrammable.
Caffeine in Cold Brew Drinks Topped with Vanilla Sweet Cream:
- Irish Cream Cold Brew: 185 mg
- Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew: 185 mg
- Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew: 185 mg
17. Caffè Mocha (Hot or Iced)
Starbucks mocha drinks are perfect for coffee and chocolate lovers. And wow, is this classic espresso drink delicious. I mean, when you combine espresso with bittersweet mocha sauce, steamed milk, and top it with sweetened whipped cream, you’re gonna get something good.
Plus, you can easily add an extra zip of peppermint flavor to create one of Starbucks most popular espresso mochas.
Caffeine in Mochas:
- Caffè Mocha: 175 mg
- Peppermint Mocha: 175 mg
18. Starbucks Blonde Vanilla Latte
Typically, Starbucks lattes don’t have as much caffeine as other types of non-espresso drinks since a grande contains two shots of espresso (150 mg of caffeine).
However, blonde roast contains more caffeine than Starbucks Signature espresso roast. This means a Starbucks Blonde Vanilla Latte makes its way into our list of Starbucks drinks with the most caffeine.
Steamed milk and vanilla syrup are the perfect add-ins for this light-roasted classic. But you can swap out vanilla for any flavor you like.
Starbucks Blonde Vanilla Latte Caffeine Content: 170 mg
19. Iced Coffee
A simple cup of Starbucks chilled and sweetened iced coffee blend over ice is seriously refreshing.
Not to mention, it provides a decent boost of caffeine. And with 165 mg of caffeine in a grande, Starbucks iced coffee rounds out our list of most caffeinated Starbucks drinks.
As Starbucks puts it, an iced coffee gives a “lift to any day.”
Iced Coffee Caffeine Content: 165 mg
Starbucks Caffeine: Ordering Tips
- Going up a Starbucks cup size for espresso drinks doesn’t always mean more caffeine. This is because most short and tall size drinks are made with one shot of espresso and most grande and venti size drinks have two.
- For more caffeine in an espresso drink, either order a grande or venti instead of a short or tall. Or ask for an extra shot of espresso in whatever size you prefer.
- Besides changing size or adding more espresso, here are 10 Starbucks Caffeine-Boosting Tips.
- Each shot of Starbucks signature espresso contains 75 mg of caffeine and each shot of blonde espresso is about 85 mg.
- A quick rule of thumb: Most short and tall espresso drinks have 75 mg of caffeine and grande and venti have 150 mg.
- These espresso drinks get three shots instead of the standard two for a grande: Americanos, Flat Whites and Iced Shaken Espressos.
- Starbucks cold brew has more caffeine than iced coffee since different brewing methods extract different amounts of caffeine.
- The caffeine in other kinds of Starbucks drinks like tea, Refreshers and Frappuccinos ranges from 40-100 mg.