Wow your guests with a decadent Pumpkin Pie Latte that brings together all the flavors of pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice coffee.
Just like the pie, this cream-filled espresso latte is topped with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
But it also has pie crust. (Yup, you read that right!)
My pumpkin spice latte recipe features a crumbly pie crust topping that’s buttery and tastes of cinnamon.
The crumb latte topping is super easy to make and is what makes this latte taste like pumpkin pie, from first sip to last.
Why You’ll Love this Pumpkin Pie Latte Coffee Drink
- Looking for a warm and cozy fall drink? A pumpkin pie latte combines all the best flavors of pumpkin pie and coffee. It’s got lots of pumpkin spice, a crumbly pie crust topping and whipped cream.
- This latte is a delicious treat for Thanksgiving guests or to serve at fall gatherings. Best of all, the pie crust topping can be made in advance (in minutes). Then all you have to do is assemble the lattes when ready.
- For a fall-flavored kids drink, just leave out the espresso. The result is a drink similar to this copycat copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Steamer recipe, but with the addition of pie crust topping.
Pumpkin Pie Latte Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make the latte and cinnamon-spiced pie crust topping.
For the Latte
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup or Pumpkin Pie Syrup
- Brewed Espresso
- Steamed Milk
- Whipped Cream
- Spiced Pie Crust Crumb Latte Topping (easy to make in 10 minutes)
Espresso: For lots of coffee flavor that stands up to all the milk in a latte, use shots of brewed espresso.
My favorite coffee for lattes is Starbucks dark roast espresso beans.
Steamed Milk: The type of milk you select has a big impact on the latte’s creaminess and mouthfeel. My go-to is 2% or whole.
Both steam up into a silky microfoam.
For best results use the steam wand on an espresso machine like my Breville Barista Express or use an electric milk frother. I use the Breville Cafe Milk Frother since it has a large enough capacity for all the milk in a hot latte.
Otherwise, you can warm the milk on a stove and whisk until frothy.
Whipped Cream: Hands-down my favorite whipped cream is made with this recipe for Starbucks whipped cream.
You can even buy a bottle of Starbucks vanilla syrup to replicate the taste exactly.
For the Pie Crust Latte Crumb Topping
- Brown Sugar
- Butter (cold)
The pie crust crumb topping is made with standard pie crust ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator.
But with this latte topping, no rolling pin is required. Mix, cut in butter, and bake the crumbles. That’s it!
To make a homemade pumpkin pie latte, start by making the pie crust latte topping.
Then, assemble the drink by combining the pumpkin syrup, espresso, and steamed milk.
Finally, top the latte with sweetened whipped cream and the pie crust crumbles. For the final touch, sprinkle on a pinch of pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles course flakes. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake until lightly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Pour pumpkin spice coffee syrup into a mug, followed by shots of brewed espresso.
- Steam milk to 160 degrees and pour the milk and foam on top of the espresso.
- Top the pumpkin latte with whipped cream and the homemade pie crust crumb topping. Dust with ground pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
Detailed recipe and instructions are in recipe card at bottom of post.
Make the Pie Crust Latte Topping
Assemble the Pumpkin Pie Latte
Is a Pumpkin Pie Latte like a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
There are two differences, however.
All Starbucks pumpkin drinks get their pumpkin flavor from a milk-based pumpkin spice sauce.
Whereas, my pumpkin latte recipe is flavored with a sugar-based pumpkin spice simple syrup.
Additionally, the special holiday latte topping for a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks is just pumpkin pie spice dusted on the whipped cream.
What puts the pie in this homemade pumpkin pie latte is whipped cream sprinkled with a crumbled, buttery pie crust topping. I mean, what’s pumpkin pie without crust?
More Decadent Fall Latte Recipes
- Easy Maple Latte with Real Maple Syrup
- Easy Cookie Butter Latte (Biscoff Flavored)
- Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte Copycat Recipe
Want to save this recipe to make later?
Pin it to your Pinterest board!
For the Pumpkin Pie Latte
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin syrup
- 2 ounces brewed espresso
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon pie crust latte topping
- whipped cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice (optional topping)
- caramel sauce (optional topping)
For the Pie Crust Latte Topping
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
Make the Pie Crust Latte Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles course flakes.
- Spread pie crust crumb mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until lightl golden brown. Set aside to cool.
Make the Pumpkin Pie Latte
- Add pumpkin pie coffee syrup or homemade pumpkin spice syrup to a mug. Pour brewed espresso over the syrup.
- Steam milk to 160 degrees then pour the milk and foam into the espresso.
- Top the pumpkin pie latte with whipped cream and the homemade pie crust crumb topping. Drizzle with caramel sauce (optional) and sprinkle with ground pumpkin pie spice (optional).
Make the spiced pie crust latte topping ahead of time so it's quick to assemble a pumpkin pie latte when you're ready. It makes enough topping for many lattes. Store in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.