Starbucks Vanilla Iced Coffee
Starbucks vanilla iced coffee is a cold coffee drink that combines vanilla syrup, iced coffee, ice and a splash of cream.
This drink is simply a customization of a basic iced coffee with milk that has vanilla syrup added to it.
This is why it’s not listed on the Starbucks menu as “vanilla iced coffee.”
To order a vanilla iced coffee from Starbucks, just order an Iced Coffee with Milk and customize it with vanilla syrup.
You can also select the type of milk you want. There are at least 10 milk options at Starbucks.
As you can imagine, it’s as simple to make vanilla iced coffee at home as it is to order it from Starbucks.
And it’s really quick and easy, especially when you buy bottled Starbucks Iced Coffee.
Of course, you can brew double-strength coffee over ice, but I like the convenience and taste of the Starbucks medium roast iced coffee in a bottle.
Make note, a vanilla iced coffee is not the same thing as a vanilla cold brew. Here are all the differences between Starbucks iced coffee and cold brew.
Vanilla Iced Coffee Recipe Overview
- To make a quick and easy vanilla iced coffee at home, use bottled Starbucks Iced Coffee, vanilla syrup, filtered iced cubes, and half and half.
- This vanilla iced coffee recipe is different than an iced blonde vanilla latte which combines espresso, vanilla, ice and a lot of milk.
- You can order a skinny vanilla iced coffee at Starbucks that’s made with sugar-free vanilla syrup and non-fat milk. To make it at home, just get a bottle of sugar-free vanilla syrup.
How Starbucks Makes this Drink
To make a copycat Starbucks drink, I first like to show you the method a Starbucks barista uses to put the drink together so you can get the proportions just right.
Here’s how Starbucks makes a 16-ounce grande vanilla iced coffee:
- First, the barista puts 4 pumps of vanilla syrup in a grande cold cup
- Then, the barista pours iced coffee to the third line on the cup
- Next, a grande scoop of ice is added to the drink
- Finally, the vanilla iced coffee is topped with milk
Have you ever noticed at Starbucks that the ice is added to the cup after the main part of the drink?
This is because the baristas use the lines on the cup to measure the drink.
Also, did you know Starbucks has a measured ice scoop for each size drink?
This is why the baristas are able to add ice to a cup with the confidence it won’t overflow.
If you have a reusable Starbucks cup at home (with black lines on the side), you can do the same thing. This way your homemade vanilla iced coffee will be perfectly proportioned.
Here are the ingredients you need to make this drink at home.
- Iced Coffee: To prepare a quick vanilla iced coffee, get a bottle of prepared Starbucks iced coffee. I prefer Starbucks which comes in medium, dark and blonde roasts, but you can use your favorite brand.
- Vanilla Syrup: You can use bottled vanilla syrup or homemade vanilla syrup. Starbucks sells small bottles of vanilla syrup in the store, or a barista may sell you a bottle if they have enough in stock. One-liter bottles of Starbucks vanilla syrup and sugar-free Starbucks vanilla syrup are also available online.
- Filtered Ice: Ice makes up a big portion of this drink. For best results, use filtered ice cubes if possible. All you have to do is make ice using filtered water from a Brita water filter pitcher.
- Cream: Lowfat 2% milk is what Starbucks uses when preparing an Iced Coffee with Milk unless you request another type. My preference is a splash of half-and-half in vanilla iced coffee.
Detailed recipe and instructions are in recipe card at bottom of post.
Here’s exactly how to make vanilla iced coffee at home like Starbucks.
This recipe makes the equivalent of a grande Starbucks drink.
Add vanilla syrup to a cup. Put the syrup directly into the bottom of a 16-ounce cup.
Pour iced coffee over syrup. Pour the coffee over the vanilla syrup to combine. If you are using a reusable Starbucks cup, pour the iced coffee up to the third black line.
Fill the cup with ice. Add ice cubes, leaving a small amount of space at the top if you want to add milk.
Mix in creamer if desired. Add a splash of milk or cream to the vanilla iced coffee. To make pretty swirls, pour the milk slowly and directly onto an ice cube.
Stir to combine. Stir the drink to incorporate the vanilla, coffee and cream. Or swirl the cup a few times to combine.
Questions You May Have
A Starbucks vanilla iced coffee is made with brewed coffee, vanilla syrup and ice, and is often served with a splash of milk and is not the same drink as an iced vanilla latte. An iced vanilla latte contains espresso, syrup and ice and the drink is about half milk.
To order a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks all you have to do is get an iced coffee with sugar-free vanilla syrup and non-fat milk, or a plant-based milk.
- Starbucks Iced Blonde Vanilla Latte Recipe
- The Top 10 Best Starbucks Iced Coffee Drinks
- 15 Starbucks Vanilla Drinks: Menu Favorites & More
- Starbucks Vanilla Bean Coconutmilk Latte (Yes, You Can Still Get It!)
- Easy Starbucks Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew Recipe
- How to Make Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
- 1 cup prepared iced coffee, preferably Starbucks Iced Coffee
- 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup
- 3/4 cup ice cubes
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Add vanilla syrup to a 16 ounce cup.
- Pour iced coffee over vanilla syrup. If you're using a reusable Starbucks cup with cup markings (black lines on the side), pour the iced coffee to the third black line.
- Add ice. Leave a small amount of space at the top if adding half-and-half.
- Top drink with half-and-half or preferred milk. Stir before drinking if desired.
- This recipe makes the equivalent of a grande vanilla iced coffee from Starbucks.
- A 48 ounce bottle of Starbucks Iced Coffee is enough to make about 6 grande-size beverages at home.
- To make a skinny vanilla iced coffee at home, buy a bottle of sugar-free vanilla syrup and use non-fat milk or a plant-based milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 16 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 40mgCarbohydrates: 42gSugar: 40gProtein: 2g